RIGHT OF RESIDENCE IN POLAND OF CITIZENS OF EU MEMBER STATES AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS
Rules of entry and residence for a period not exceeding 3 months
A citizen of an EU Member State and his/her family member being also the EU citizen may stay within the territory of the Republic of Poland for up to three months without being obliged to register his/her stay on the basis of a valid travel document or other document confirming his/her identity and citizenship. The foreigner’s family member not being an EU citizen may enter the territory of the Republic of Poland on the basis of valid travel document and a visa (if a required).
Right of residence for a period longer than 3 months
If a residence period in Poland is longer than 3 months the EU citizen has the obligation to register his/her stay and his/her family member not being an EU citizen must obtain a Residence Card for the EU citizen’s family member.
The application for residence permit must be submitted in person, not later than the next working day after expiry of the 3 months period from the date of the foreigner’s entry to the Republic of Poland.
The obligation of personal submitting the application doesn’t apply to minors.
For other activities including collecting a confirming document the foreigner may appoint a plenipotentiary by means of a written authorization.
A foreigner’s stay within the territory of the Republic of Poland is registered upon request of:
- a citizen of an EU Member State,
- a citizen of European Economic Area not belonging to the EU
- a citizen of a country not being a member of European Economic Area who may take advantage of freedom of movement of persons according to treaties between these countries and European Union (applies to citizens of Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland),
- family members of EU citizens.
CONDITIONS OF GRANTING RESIDENCE PERMITS:
An EU citizen may be granted a residence permit in Poland in case of meeting of one of the following conditions:
1. he/she is an employee or an entrepreneur;
2. he/she is covered by a general medical insurance or entitled to health care services and
has financial resources which are sufficient to provide for himself/herself and his/her family members in Poland and which do not come from social assistance;
3. he/she is a student or is doing a vocational training course in Poland and is covered with a general medical insurance or is entitled to health care services and has financial resources which are sufficient to provide for himself/herself and his/her family members in Poland and which do not come from social assistance;
4. he/she is a spouse of a Polish citizen;
5. a residence permit acquired by a EU citizen is also acquired by his/her family member(s) staying with him/her in Poland.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED for registration of an EU citizen’s stay in Poland:
- application for the issue of a Certificate of Registering the residence of an EU citizen (completed in Polish),
- a photocopy of a valid travel document or other document confirming the foreigner’s identity and citizenship,
- a document confirming that a foreigner has a medical insurance or is entitled to take advantage of health care services,
- a photocopy of a document confirming that the applying person has financial resources which are sufficient to provide for himself/herself and his/her family members in Poland without benefitting from social assistance, for example a credit card; a document confirming resources on a bank account or in other financial institution, which should be affixed with a signature and stamp of an authorized employee of the bank or financial institution (such confirmation must not be issued earlier than one month before submitting the application for a stay registration); a decision about the amount of granted pension; a document confirming the amount of a salary collected for work or services provided to the public; or other evidence,
- a photocopy of a document confirming that a foreigner has performed his/her duty to report his/her place of residence,
Depending on a purpose of his/her stay in Poland a foreigner should attach:
when being an employee:
a written declaration of the employer or an entity authorized to provide an EU citizen with work about the intention to provide him/her with work or a certificate of performing a work with information about its time range,
when working on his/her own within the territory of the Republic of Poland:
a photocopy of the entry in the National Court Register (Krajowy Rejestr Sądowy), if such entry is required by additional laws, or a photocopy of certificate of entry in the business activity register
when studying or doing a vocational training:
confirmation from a state owned or private academic school confirming admission to a college or referral to a vocational training course,
written declaration that the person has sufficient financial resources to provide for himself/herself and his/her family members, without the necessity to avail of social assistance services, or a certificate confirming that the person has such financial resources,
when being married to a Polish citizen:
a photocopy of a document confirming contracting a marriage with a Polish citizen
Members of the EU citizen’s family:
a spouse – a photocopy of a document confirming contracting a marriage with an EU citizen,
- child(ren) /parent(s) – a photocopy of a document confirming family relations and a document confirming person’s age or the fact that he/she is EU citizen’s dependant.
Documents required by submitting an application for a Residence Card for a member of the EU citizen’s family who is not a citizen of the EU:
application for the issue of a Residence Card,
- 2 recent colour photographs, undamaged, size 45×35 mm, made in the last six months on a plain white background, with good focus, clearly showing the eyes and face from the top of the head to the top of the shoulders; the face should occupy 70-80% of the photograph; the photograph should show the person looking straight ahead with their eyes open, not covered by hair, with a natural facial expression and mouth closed
- confirmation of registration of the EU citizen’s stay in Poland issued to the EU citizen whom his/her family member(s) is/are staying with in Poland,
- a spouse – a photocopy of a document confirming contracting marriage with an EU citizen ,
- child(ren) /parent(s) – a photocopy of a document confirming family relations and a document confirming the fact that he/she is EU citizen’s dependant
WHERE TO SUBMIT DOCUMENTS:
Dolnośląski Urząd Wojewódzki
Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców
Obsługa Spraw Obywateli Unii Europejskiej
71 340 69 53 head of the Section
71 340 60 58
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8.15 a.m. – 3.45 p.m.
Wednesday 8.15 – 5.45 p.m.
When submitting his/her application a foreigner is obliged to present to the desk officer originals of respective documents for verification of their conformity with the photocopies. Photocopies of documents submitted without presenting their originals can be accepted only after their previous notification (by a notary, barrister or a licensed legal adviser). All the documents issued in foreign languages and used as evidence in the procedure attached to application forms should be submitted jointly with their translation into Polish done by a sworn translator.